Monday, August 4, 2014
This is the ninth(!) time I've used this men's shirt pattern from BurdaStyle: Sewing Vintage Modern, so there's not a whole lot I have left to say. For this version I left off the collar and pockets and did short sleeves. Also, instead of using separate placket pieces I just added an extra 1/2" width to the front pieces, finished the edges, then turned them under and stitched, making a 1" placket.
My husband found this fabric when he came with me to The Common Thread here in Austin. I'd passed right by it, but he was definitely right in thinking in would make a great mens shirt. I love how the plaid and polka dots are very subtle, but still add some interest and texture to the shirt. It's yarn-dyed cotton from Japan (available here), but I'm not sure what the brand is.
This was a quick make. It took about five hours total, including cutting out the fabric, which was frustratingly time-consuming. I only bought 1.5 yds of this 45" wide fabric which was just barely enough. It took a while to get all the pieces to fit.
Like I said, not much to say about this shirt. I'm happy with it, husband's happy with it, all is well!
In other news, I want to thank you all for your kind comments on my last post! My galaxy Anima pants ended up winning the 3/4 length category in the Anima Pant Competion, which I'm over the moon about! My prize includes the Sigma and La Sylphide dress patterns, plus a couple gorgeous printed silks(!!!) which I'm super excited about because I've never sewn with silk before. So if you have any good tips for sewing with silk please let me know!
I hope everyone's having a happy Monday!