What's this, heels and sweatpants?! A bit of a departure from my usual style, but for a good reason: Papercut Pattern's Anima Pant competition! Pushing me out of my comfort zone and into the Milky Way...
Now these pants aren't at all similar to my original sketch. And they're actually my second pair of Anima Pants. I made my first (full-length) pair out of white jersey and dip dyed it, hoping for a white-to-violet effect that I would then embellish with gold foil. Sounds nice, right? Unfortunately they turned out more of a grayish purple color, although they do have the color gradient I was going for. The color combined with the long length looks pretty frumpy on me, so they're in a time-out situation until I figure out how to jazz them up.
But I'm actually really glad Plan A didn't work out, because it pushed me to come up with an equally elaborate Plan B! I looked at fabric painting and dyeing tutorials online for inspiration, and I came across a couple galaxy-print shirt DIYs. "Galaxy painted Anima pants?" "Sure", I thought. "Why not?!" And the process was actually super fun, and turned out way better than I expected! ( I've included a tutorial and progress pics at the end of the post if you want to make a pair for yourself!)
I wanted to pair these pants with something simple that wouldn't cover the waistband: enter Nettie #4! The Nettie pattern has earned tried-and-true status in my book, and I knew I could make one up in just a couple hours. This is the scoop-neck, high-back, bodysuit version.
I bought this fabric during Girl Charlee's Fourth of July sale just because it was super cheap, but I ended up totally loving it! It's a soft and stretchy rayon blend (my fave) and the color's actually a really pretty orangey-red jewel tone, though it looks redder in the pictures.
The pant fabric is a medium-weight black jersey that I've had in my stash for a while. I only had one yard, and I was just barely able to fit the pattern pieces for the cropped length on it.
Since this was my second pair it came together really quickly. Overall the pattern and instructions are great, and I would definitely recommend this pattern! The only tricky part was the waistband. I had a lot of trouble doing the foldover method in the instructions, so for this pair I did my usual elastic insertion method where you sew a tube with an opening and thread the elastic through. This worked a lot better for me and this waistband is a lot neater than my first one. I did still have trouble with the buttonholes though. My machine does NOT want to make buttonholes on knit fabric. So they're not too pretty, but they'll do the job.
I didn't follow any one tutorial, but kind of amalgamated the information from a few different ones. The process was basically the same in all of them. Here's what I did:
Step 1: Put some bleach in a spray bottle, dilute it with water, and spray some galaxy clusters onto your pant pieces. I just used some bleach-based bathroom cleaner that was already in a spray bottle. The orange spots take a few seconds to show up, so don't spray too much all at once. You want to build up gradually. I let mine sit for about 30 minutes, and then washed them to stop the bleach from eating away at the fabric too much. Then I let them dry in the sun (which took about 5 minutes because it's so hot).
Step 2: Using a sponge, build up layers of purple, blue, and white fabric paint (in that order). These should also be built up gradually, as you can always go back and add more later. The color fades a little as it dries, so I went over each piece twice. There's no real method to this - just do whatever looks good to you! I concentrated the blue and purple around the outside of the orange clusters. This is what it looked like before I added white:
Step 3: Add stars by dipping a toothbrush in white paint and flicking it onto the pant pieces. You may want to practice this on a piece of scrap fabric first. In this picture you can see my finished back leg pieces with my bleached-only front pieces, as well as the sponge and toothbrush I used for painting.
Step 4: Let the paint dry overnight, and then sew up your garment as usual! I chose to leave my waistband, cuffs, and inner pocket black.
Let me know if you have any questions! And thanks for reading!